Legacy Data Import & Migration
Global Relay Archive revolutionizes data management. Clean up your company's old email as part of a comprehensive data unification plan. Imagine being able to restore, access, manage and consolidate your organization's past and present email and digital documents in a unified online system, deleting duplicates and providing instant search and retrieval.
Company email is often stored on disparate servers, backup tapes, CDs, DVDs, employee desktops and laptop computers, with multiple copies and no single source of indexing or access.
- Senior Management requires control over, and independent access to both current and historical email, IM and other message types. They are the intellectual capital of the company and are permanent records of 'who said what, when'. They can be used against you, or more importantly, used in your defense. They are a legally admissible 'business record'. Simply put, access to legacy email and other electronic message types is about risk management.
- Compliance Officers have growing responsibilities and liabilities relating to the electronic communications of employees. Compliance regulations deem electronic messages to be a form of business communication that requires regulatory monitoring and oversight.
- IT Technicians are overburdened with technology issues. Challenges include finding and recovering email from backup tapes, CDs and failed hard drives, controlling mailbox sizes and managing increasing email volumes.
Import Solution & Process
Import, Index, Manage & Access a Unified Archive.
Consolidate your company's electronic records in the unified, browser-accessible Global Relay Archive for rapid search, retrieval and management.
Process for Import and Restoration of Historical Data
Legacy data files are imported from:
- MS Exchange Servers via ExMerge
- Backup CD/tapes
Legacy data files enter Email Conversion Process which:
- Removes duplicate email
- Appends import ID stamp
- Creates import statistics report
Converted email is imported by Global Relay Archive which:
- Scans email header, text body and attachments
- Indexes all keywords for quick search
- Appends serialized time-date stamp
Once in Global Relay Archive, the Compliance Reviewer:
- Enforces email usage, retention and compliance policies
- Scans email and attachments
- Flags keyword and phrase violations
Frequently Asked Questions
- What import files are supported?
The preferred format is an .mbox file (standard UNIX type mailbox file), but the most common file type we receive is a .PST. We can accept most common mailbox formats, but if it is one we are not familiar with it would be best to have you send us a smaller test file to begin with. The most efficient import file size is 1 - 1.5GB/file.
- Are duplicated messages eliminated?
Yes, the Importer uses an automated process of hash algorithm matching, in order to identify duplicate email. For each email imported, a SHA-1 (Secure Hash Algorithm 1) hash is generated and then compared to known hash results stored in Global Relay Archive. The SHA-1 hash algorithm has been adopted as the US Federal Information Processing Standard.
- What storage format should I use send my legacy data in?
We prefer that you send us your legacy messages to us on either DVD(s), or on a portable USB hard drive. For DVDs, we will keep the DVDs you send us, unless you request return of the same. For USB hard drives, we will return it after the mail has been successfully imported into the archives and verified by you.